Sunday, November 28, 2010

Metacognition: Tribute to Aristotle... a Christmas tree

        My mother went out of town last week and she asked me to set up the Christmas tree before she came back. Last year I remember that she had set up the Christmas tree and the ornaments all by herself. Not only did she set up the entire tree but she also took it down and placed it in storage. For this reason, I feel guilty about not helping her with it last year and that now I felt it was my turn to set it up. Throughout the break, I was procrastinating on starting the tree and bringing it from the basement because of how heavy the box is and all the boxes of ornaments that are also apart of it.
       As I began taking each branch and beginning to outstretch them and placing them on the vertical support, I felt each branch was a token of my appreciation to my mom. Within the hour, I was only able to do one row of the eight that make the tree. Despite my efforts, I felt very accomplished because I had started and for me that is always the hardest part.
       During the process of outstretching the branches I felt my anxiety (about it being a Sunday) and knowing I have school tomorrow was channeled in a more positive way and I became relaxed. I also became focused as I worked on the tree and this for me lets me relax my mind and only concentrate on the task at hand. As I reflect upon the exercise, I realized that I can be compared to a train. It is hard to start me up and get me moving but once you do its easy for me to keep going strong and efficient. I was surprised about the way I felt throughout the process because I have never really put too much thought into thinking about the way that I feel when I was organizing. When I begin organizing so does my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment