Sunday, September 19, 2010

Best of Week: Sharing MindBooks

The best activity of the whole week was having the class brag about others mindbooks. When sharing our mindbooks in groups, it was interesting to see the different approaches everyone had on their entrys. Some used colored pencil while others used magazine cutouts. It was exciting to see how everyone thinks differently and expresses themselves in odd and inspiring ways.

For example, Kevin drew a portrait of himself in caricature form using sharpie and crayon. Kevin not only drew himself as a child but also as an overweight child with a bottle of spray paint in his hand. This was a good representation of himself because he is always up to stir a bit of trouble. I also was intrigued by his entry because he wanted to show a side of him and share it with everyone. He also used crayon to draw his skin pink, which was an interesting view of how he thought he should look.

Watching individuals minds at work made me feel as if I had an entry into my peers minds. I was then able to feel as if I was communicating with them on the same level because I placed myself in their shoes. I was able to connect with my peers for a moment that was not just a surface connection. This made me feel a sort of trust in my peers because they were allowing me to jump inside of their brains. I enjoyed sharing mindbooks because it would also allow others to understand each other better and when accepting and getting along with others it creates an energy in the classroom that is contagious. The liveliness taking place is needed at the end of the day because most students are waiting for the bell to ring to go home.

The sense of trust that I got while looking at every ones mindbooks is the same idea used in my gym class, Adventure ed., to ensure that we are keeping each other safe when climbing the rock wall. I can apply this idea of working openly with a class to allow relationships to grow beyond just an acquaintance in my class. Being able to place myself in others shoes and really getting to know them is more valuable than just keeping an impression that may be horrendously wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Sammmy, I love mindbooks. This is a great entry, because I love mindbooks. Mindbooks are great. I'm not the greatest artist, so it's hard to try and express myself through art. Initially, the idea of mindbook was super cool but also I knew it would be a lot of work. Having bragging time does bring out a sense of trust that everyone in the class will accept the way you do art since they want the same feeling in return. It's cool that our class gets in this mood and is excited to see everyone elses work (and you know it feels great inside when people get excited about your art). This yearlong assignment is a great way to better get to know your fellow classmates, and let mr. Allen better get to know you.

    ReplyDelete